Swiss ETA Chopard has a history to be traceable to the late 18th century: in 1793 established a watch factory. Opened in 1855 and specializes in the manufacture of another "Ebauches (semi-finished watch movements)" factory. It was later named ETA. In 1926, brings together the major gaps in the Swiss movement manufacturer's stock company Ebauches SA established. When the SMH in 1983 after the establishment, Ebauches SA changed its name to ETA SA Fabriques dEbauches. Switzerland and around the world now has a staff of more than 9 thousand ETA is the world's largest manufacturer of watches and movements.
By the middle of the 16th Century the watchmaking industry started developing in Switzerland when the Huguenots, French Protestants who were members of the Reformed Church, established in the region. Geneva and later the region of the Jura soon became the epicentric of the watchmaking industry . During the windy months of winter in the region of the Swiss Jura, the country people dedicated their time to manufacture movements for Swiss presicion pocket watches. Peasents recieved orders from Geneva through the Comptoirs, selling organizations which provided the peasents with the components of watch mechanisms in order to have them assembled. In spring they collected the finished movements and started trading. Until 1830 only watches with key mechanisms were produced in the region. In 1860 Louis Ulysse Chopard founded his company in the small village of Sonvilier. There is no record of the first years production but we know that since then it has produced watches that meet the highest standards of quality and presicion. The first Chopard watch we know is a thick pocket watch with the signature Chopard e Sonviller. In order to identify his production from the rest, L.U Chopard focused on quality and presicion and developed the finest watches in Sonvilier. From the begining of the 20th century on, domestic traditional watchmakers started disapearing gradualy due to Industrial Revolution. Chopard decided that there was still a clientele for his watches and left to Eastern Europe. He visited Hungary, Poland and Russia and his watches reached CZar Nicholas II's court. In 1920 the company moved to Ginebra. The period between the two World Wars was critic for many watchmakers and jewelers, but not for L. U. Chopard, his son and their watches. Louis Ulysse Chopard's grandson, André-Paul Chopard, was the head of the firm until 1963 when he met Karl Scheufele III -member of a family with a great reputation in the jewelry business- and, finding himsef with no descendants, decided to leave the company in the young man's hands.